My first foray into german patterns went very well. I bought a whole bunch in the fall sale on makerist.de this year. I was very nervous about the translation aspect but these patterns have such a good reputation, I went for it. I first purchased a couple patterns that I had to have and opened them right away. I was in awe! The picture tutorial is so detailed, I have not seen many like it! You can just follow the tutorial without even needing to translate.
This hoodie is womens sweatjacket by Thread beetles.
The other great thing that attracted me to patterns on makerist are the neat little details such as cord stops, leather patches, and such. They elevate the look so much! I am just loving these patterns.
The way I approached the pattern was I first figured out sizing. Since this is international pattern, measurements are in metrics and had to figure out what size I needed to use. After that I printed the pattern on letter size but the pattern itself is made for A4. There was a little bit of careful overlapping while putting the pattern together. For my next ones, I've decided to print on legal paper and skip the headache of using letter. Lastly, I inserted the google translated version of pattern instructions directly into the PDF as comments. This was immensely helpful as I did not have to keep switching to translate when I was sewing. Sewing went without a hitch. I probably made this one in 3 hrs. I have made a hoodie with zipper and facing before so I knew the construction steps but if not, photo tutorial does a great job at explaining.
The fabric used for the hoodie is navy french terry by Simply by Ti fabrics. The leather patches I made using some vinyl from Joanns that I already had. The eyelets are actually small grommets. The grommet package comes with a tool that you need to apply them. It is easier than it looks!
You may recognize the jeans. They are the same pair from my previous post and are made with Simply by Ti stretch denim fabric. They are the most comfortable and best fitting pair I have!
I made my usual length adjustments to it. Took off about 1.5" from the length at the lengthen/shorten line. That was all the change it needed. I'm going to make this one again in a sweatshirt fabric so it would be a bit warmer.
I had a little trouble getting the right lighting for the photos. Finally got a couple decent ones but hopefully you can see the details! I'm so excited to be able to make international patterns and expand my skills (and my pattern collection).
I'm hoping for another makerist.de sale before the year is out! I now have a wishlist over there but in the meantime, I have plenty to keep me busy!