Friday, August 11, 2017

Arabella Skirt

I had the pleasure of making the Arabella skirt for Rebecca Page Designs. It's a sweet, simple, gathered skirt that comes in a variety of length options. I chose to make a maxi skirt.

Pattern Description: The Arabella is a gorgeous ladies maxi skirt pattern. An easy & quick sew with 4 lengths and lots of options, it’s a perfect beginner skirt pattern!

The pattern is very quick and easy for a beginner to do. I probably completed it in an hour. I used a burgundy crepe fabric which was opaque. At 2 yards, it was just enough fabric for this project. I'm short and can often get away with less fabric than pattern calls for.


I love that the skirt has just the right amount of gathering to make it feel full but not add bulk. The airy lightness of the fabric makes it almost an ethereal feeling.
The pattern comes with 2 waistband options - Tall and regular. I used the regular waistband and sash.


There is a child's version of Arabella as well that I'm hoping to make for Aanya.

Monday, August 07, 2017

McCall 6696 Shirtdress review

I finally made the Mccall 6696 shirdress after owing the pattern for over a year! This is my first time making a shirtdress with actual buttons and stand collar. I was afraid of this pattern for no reason at all. It is a very well drafted and fitting pattern. I made a muslin and understood the mods I needed to make for my unique fit challenges. Muslin is so very important for any garment, wovens more so than knits.

We'll talk muslins and adjustments but first, let's get right to the photos!


The fabric is a foil print cotton woven that I got from Joanns. It feels really nice and smooth. I love love this fabric! Went back to check if they still have it but alas, I couldn't find it. I got this dress out of 2 yards!



I made View C - sleeveless dress with straight skirt, size 14. Before starting the muslin, I had decided to take out most of the back gathers. That is the #1 complaint most people have from this pattern that the back is too blousy. I took out all gathers from the top back and converted the bottom of back bodice gathers to a tiny pleat. 
Other major change to the pattern was length adjustments. I took out 2" from bodice sections, 1" from skirt to accommodate my height. 

Closeup of back pleat

I used the A/B cup bodice as I'm a sewing B cup. It worked well for me. 

Once I made the muslin, I found out the waistband was too fitted. So for my final, I added 3" to the waistband. I wanted it to be fitted but not so much that I couldn't breathe. I added 3/4" to the skirt side seams as the skirt was too fitted for my taste. In hindsight, I should have used size 16 skirt and waistband. 


I love the details like pockets and stand collar. Very proud of the way it all turned out! 



All in all, a great pattern! I will be using this again and this time with sleeves and view A skirt.