Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Completely taken!



I'm completely in love with my sewing machine. It was silly to even think I wouldn't know how to operate it. Though there were (are) frustrating moments. First thing I did after opening the package was watch the instructional DVD that came with it. Then, I tried to wind a bobbin. I missed a step and the thread wrapped on the underside of the notch thing that bobbin stands on. Took 20 minutes to clear that up. I could have would 2 bobbins manually in that time LOL!
After that was cleared, I watched the DVD again and found what my problem had been. Fixed it, did the bobbin and threaded the machine. Then I started trying out the stitches. They were kind of loose under the fabric so I had to fix the tension of the thread. There is a dial for that at the top of the machine so that was easily fixable. Changed a bunch of presser feet to try out various stitches. I haven't had success with the buttonhole foot yet though it may have been the button I was using. It was not sitting steady in the slot.
After adjusting tension and having stitches sit nicely on practice scraps, I decided to make DS's PJ bottoms. I had bought some practice muslin for this purpose as I was sure the first project would not be wearable. I was right! LOL So confident I am in myself. I had picked up 2 patterns at Walmart earlier that day and I couldn't wait to try them. I tried to transfer the pattern for cutting onto the fabric and it was an approximation. Ha! Ofcourse they didn't come out properly. I didn't know you had to *cut* the pattern and pin it to the fabric and then cut the fabric. BTW, YouTube has great videos for everything ;) It came in handy learning tricks about sewing just as it had with jewelery-making.
So after the muslin pants disaster, I was very anxious about another project. This time, I cut and pin the pattern to the fabric, cut the fabric, notched it and everything. Much better results second time around -- this was for DS's shorts. Although I feel the fabric is a bit light weight for that purpose but I had picked it up without thinking about what I would do with it. I had the pattern, the fabric that was the exact size needed. They're Charlie Brown fabric and DS loves them.
Then, I made my Apron from the Flirty Skirty pattern. I had bought really pretty fabric seen here for this, but I decided to use another one I had bought from Joann's. I'm glad for that too because the Apron is not as nicely finished as I would like. Also, this fabric is lightweight for an Apron. Dang it. It would look so pretty. I might still go ahead with it. It won't be used heavily anyways.
Final project as of today - Buzz Lightyear flannel PJ Bottoms for DS. They are the best! I promise to take pictures soon. SO far it's going really well. I have grand plans for making my own skirts, maybe a dress or a trouser! I've been looking at all the fabulous fabrics and patterns. We shall see how far I get before I get distracted by the next shining object LOL!

3 comments:

Daffycat said...

Excellent! I'm glad you are having a good time learning to sew! I wish I had more time to play with my machine.

Erin said...

Congratulations! I can't wait to watch as you learn.

Stitcher S said...

How wonderful!